REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The extension housing seal is located at the rear of the transmission case.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Drain the transmission of lubricant.
- Matchmark the driveshaft to the yoke for reassembly and remove the driveshaft.
- Remove the old seal using a seal puller or appropriate prytool.
- Install a new seal, coated with sealing compound, using an appropriate seal installation tool.
- Install the driveshaft, making certain to align the matchmark.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Fill the transmission with the proper fluid.
The extension housing seal on 4WD drive vehicles is located at the rear of the transfer case. Refer to the Rear Output Shaft Seal procedure in the Transfer Case portion of this section.