REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the transmission.
- If the clutch and pressure plate are going to be reused, mark the pressure plate and cover assembly and the flywheel so that they can be reinstalled in the same relative position.
- Loosen the pressure plate and cover attaching bolts evenly in a staggered sequence a turn at time until the pressure plate springs are relieved of their tension. Remove the attaching bolts.
- Remove the pressure plate and cover assembly and the clutch disc from the flywheel.
- Remove the pilot bearing in the crankshaft by removing using a suitable puller.
The self-adjusting pressure plate on the F-150, F-250 and Expedition models should always be adjusted before installation.
Before installing the self-adjusting pressure plate, adjust as follows:
- Place the flywheel and pressure plate in a suitable press.
- Using a suitable adapter, press down on the clutch diaphragm fingers until the adjusting ring moves freely.
- Rotate the adjusting ring counterclockwise until the tension springs are compressed.
- Hold the adjusting ring while releasing the pressure on the clutch fingers.
- Inspect the flywheel for wear, damage and flatness. Replace or resurface as necessary.
- Install a new pilot bearing into the crankshaft using a suitable pilot bearing installer.
- Position the clutch disc on the flywheel so that an aligning tool or spare transmission mainshaft can enter the clutch pilot bearing and align the disc.
- When reinstalling the original pressure plate and cover assembly, align the assembly and flywheel according to the marks made during removal. Position the pressure plate and cover assembly on the flywheel, align the pressure plate and disc, and install the retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts in an alternating sequence a few turns at a time until the proper torque is reached:
- Remove the tool used to align the clutch disc.
- Install the transmission.
- Install the slave cylinder and bleed the system.
Because the clutch system is hydraulic, the clutch pedal free-play is self-adjusting and requires no additional maintenance.