REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Special tools required:
- Remove the valve cover.
- Disengage the fuel injector electrical connector.
- Remove the oil rail drain plugs.
- Remove the retaining screw and oil deflector. The shoulder bolt on the inboard side of the fuel injector does not require removal.
- Remove the outboard fuel injector retaining bolt.
- Remove the heater distribution box screws, nuts and clip. Remove the outer half of the case (to service No. 4 fuel injector only).
- Remove the fuel injector using Injector Remover No. T94T-9000-AH1, or equivalent. Position the tool's fulcrum beneath the fuel injector hold-down plate and over the edge of the cylinder head. Install the remover screw in the threaded hole of the fuel injector plate (see illustration). Tighten the screw to lift out the injector from its bore. Place the injector in a suitable protective sleeve such as Rotunda Injector Protective Sleeve, No. 014-00933-2, and set the injector in a suitable holding rack.
- Remove the fuel injector sleeves, if required. Insert the Injector Sleeve Tap Plug, 014-00934-3 into the injector sleeve to prevent debris from entering the combustion chamber. Insert Injector Sleeve Tap Pilot into the fuel injector sleeve and tighten 1-1 1 / 2 turns. Attach Slide Hammer T50T-100-A to the Injector Sleeve Tap 014-00934-1 and 014-00934-2 Injector Sleeve Tap Pilot and remove the fuel injector sleeve from the bore.
- Use Rotunda Injector Sleeve Brush 104-00934-A, or equivalent to clean the injector bore of any sealant residue. Make sure to remove any debris.
- If removed, install the fuel injector sleeves using Rotunda Sleeve Replacer, No. 014-00934-4, or equivalent. Apply Threadlock, No. 262-E2FZ-19554-B, or equivalent to the fuel injector sleeves as shown (see illustration). Using a rubber mallet, tap on the tool to seat the injector bore. Remove the tool and remove any residue sealant.
- Clean the fuel injector sleeve using a suitable sleeve brush set. Clean any debris from the sleeve.
- Clean the injector bore with a lint-free shop towel.
Install the fuel injectors using special tools as follows:
- Lubricate the injectors with clean engine oil. Using new copper washers, carefully push the injectors square into the bore using hand pressure only to seat the O-rings.
- Position the open end of Injector Replacer, No. T94T-9000-AH2, or equivalent between the fuel injector body and injector hold-down plate, while positioning the opposite end of the tool over the edge of the cylinder head.
- Align the hole in the tool with the threaded hole in the cylinder head and install the bolt from the tool kit. Tighten the bolt to fully seat the injector, then remove the bolt and tool.
- Install the outer half of the heater distribution box and retaining hardware (for No. 4 injector only).
- Install the oil deflector and bolt. Tighten the bolt to 108 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Install the fuel rail drain plug, tightening it to 96 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
- Install the oil rail drain plug, tightening it to 53 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
- Install the heater distribution box.
- Connect the fuel injector wiring harness.
- Install the valve cover.
The procedure for testing the injectors is quite complex, dangerous and requires many special tools that are out of the budget of the average do-it-yourselfer. We recommend that you take the vehicle to a professional shop experienced with the complicated injection system on your model.