The engine oil temperature (EOT) sensor changes resistance in response to the changing temperature of the engine oil. This sensor is located on the high pressure oil pump used to fire the fuel injectors on the 7.3L DIT diesel engine. The EOT sensor is a standard thermistor type sensor like an ECT or IAT. The EOT resistance decreases as the oil temperature increases providing the PCM with a signal relevant to the temperature of the engine oil.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF .
- Disconnect the wiring harness from the EOT sensor.
- Measure the resistance between the sensor terminals.
- Compare the resistance reading with the accompanying chart.
- If the resistance is not within specification, the EOT may be faulty.
- Connect the wiring harness to the sensor.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Approximately 1 quart of oil needs to be drained before the EOT sensor can be removed.
- Drain 1 quart of oil from the oil reservoir. This is easily accomplished using a vacuum hand pump and removing the oil from the high pressure oil pump reservoir.
- Detach the EOT sensor connector.
- Using a suitable tool, remove the sensor from the pump reservoir.
- The installation is the reverse of the removal.
- Add 1 quart of oil to the reservoir.