REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the oil pan.
- Loosen all the crankshaft main bearing cap bolts and lower the crankshaft no more than 1 / 32 in. (0.7938mm).
- Remove the rear main bearing cap and remove the seal. On the cylinder block half of the seal, use a seal removal tool, or install a small metal screw in one end of the seal and pull on the screw to remove the seal.
- Clean the seal groove in the crankshaft main bearing cap and the block using a brush and a solvent such as metal surface cleaner F4AZ-19A536-RA or its equivalent.
- Clean the areas where the sealer is to be applied later and dry the area thoroughly so that no solvent contacts the rear main seal.
- Dip the seal halves in engine oil.
- Install the upper half of the seal (cylinder block side) into its groove with the undercut side of the seal towards the front of the engine (with the tab side of the seal towards the rear face of the block), by rotating it on the seal journal until approximately 3 / 8 in. (9.525mm) protrudes below the parting surface.
- Tighten all the crankshaft main bearing cap bolts, EXCEPT THE REAR MAIN BEARING, to 95-105 ft. lbs. (129-142 Nm).
- Install the lower half of the seal in the rear crankshaft main bearing cap with the undercut side of the seal towards the front of the engine (with the tab side of the seal towards the rear face of the block), Allow the seal to protrude 3 / 8 in. (9.525mm) above the parting surface to mate with the upper half of the seal.
- Apply a 1 / 16 in. (1.588mm) bead of gasket maker E2AZ-19562-B or its equivalent to the rear oil seal area of the block starting from the forward face of the return groove and overlaying the end of the wire seal retainer.
Do not allow the sealer to contact the inside diameter of the seal.
- Install the rear main cap and tighten the bolts to 95-105 ft. lbs. (129-142 Nm).
- Install the oil pan.
If the crankshaft rear oil seal replacement is the only operation being performed, it can be done in the vehicle as detailed in the following procedure. If the oil seal is being replaced in conjunction with a rear main bearing replacement, the engine must be removed from the vehicle and installed on a work stand.
- Remove the transmission from the vehicle. Refer to .
- Remove the flywheel/flexplate. If equipped, remove the crankshaft oil slinger from the crankshaft.
- Use an awl to punch two holes in the crankshaft rear oil seal. Punch the holes on opposite sides of the crankshaft and just above the bearing cap-to-cylinder block split line.
- Install a sheet metal screw in each hole. Use two small prybars to pry against both screws at the same time to remove the crankshaft rear oil seal. It may be necessary to place small blocks of wood against the cylinder block to provide a fulcrum point for the prybars. Use caution throughout this procedure to avoid scratching or otherwise damaging the crankshaft oil seal surface.
- Clean the oil seal recess in the cylinder block and main bearing cap.
- Clean, inspect and polish the rear oil seal rubbing surface on the crankshaft.
- Coat the new oil seal and the crankshaft with a light film of engine oil.
- Start the seal in the recess with the seal lip facing forward and install it with a seal driver. Keep the tool straight with the centerline of the crankshaft and install the seal until the tool contacts the cylinder block surface. Remove the tool and inspect the seal to be sure it was not damaged during installation.
- If equipped, install the crankshaft oil slinger.
- Position the flywheel on the crankshaft flange. Coat the threads of the flywheel attaching bolts with Locktite® and install the bolts. Tighten the bolts in sequence across from each other to 75-85 ft. lbs. (102-115 Nm).
- Install the transmission. Refer to .
- Remove the transmission. Refer to .
- Remove the flywheel.
- Loosen the crankshaft rear oil seal bolts and remove the seal.
- Clean the seal mating surfaces.
- If installing the old seal, inspect it for damage.
- Using crankshaft wear ring removal tool T94T-6701-AH1, forcing screw T84T-7025-B, remover tube T77J-7025-B and wear ring remover sleeve T94T-6701-AH2 (refer to the illustration), or their equivalents, remove the wear ring.
- Apply silicone sealant D6AZ-19562-BA, or equivalent, to the seal retaining ring and the seal retaining bolts.
- using seal replacers T94T-6701-AH3 and T94T-AH4, driver sleeve T79T-6316-A4 (part of T79T-6316-A) and guide pins T94P-7000-P or their equivalents, install the wear ring and oil seal.
- Install and tighten the seal retaining bolts.
- Remove the installation tools and install the flywheel.
- Install the transmission. Refer to .