REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
7.3L Diesel Engine
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the engine.
- Remove the water pump.
- Remove the crankshaft damper.
- Remove the oil pan.
- Remove the four front cover retaining bolts.
- Remove the front cover from the engine.
The crankshaft gear sprocket is not serviced separately from the crankshaft. Do not try to remove the sprocket or you will damage the crankshaft. To replace the crankshaft sprocket crankshaft replacement is necessary.
Remove the camshaft sprocket as follows:
- Remove the camshaft.
- Use a press to remove the sprocket from the camshaft.
- Remove the thrust plate and sprocket key.
- Inspect the camshaft and related parts for wear and damage.
- Clean the nose of the camshaft and install the thrust plate.
- Place the key in the key-way on the camshaft.
- Heat the sprocket in an oven to 500° F (260° C).
- Remove the sprocket from the oven, align the sprocket key-way with the camshaft key and install the sprocket on the camshaft until it is fully seated. Allow the camshaft assembly to cool before installation
- Install the camshaft in the engine and align the timing marks on the gears.
- Install new gaskets onto the engine front cover and apply silicone sealant into the sealing grooves on the front cover.
- Install the front cover onto the engine.
- Install the four front cover retaining bolts and tighten the bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Install the oil pan.
- Install the crankshaft damper.
- Install the water pump.
- Install the engine.
- Connect the negative battery cable.