REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove any trim necessary to access the electrical connector inside the front door.
- Detach the electrical connector inside the door and pull the wire harness out of the front door.
- Matchmark the hinge-to-body and hinge-to-door locations.
- Support the door either on jackstands or have somebody hold it for you.
- Remove the lower hinge-to-door bolts.
- Remove the upper hinge-to-door bolts and lift the door off the hinges.
- If the hinges are being replaced, remove them from the door pillar.
- Install the door and hinges with the bolts finger tight.
- Adjust the door and tighten the hinge bolts to 19-25 ft. lbs. (26-35 Nm).
- Install the wire harness into the door opening.
- Attach the electrical connector inside the front door.
- Install any trim removed from the door.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
1997-98 F-250HD, F-350 and F-Super Duty
Loosen the hinge-to-door bolts for lateral adjustment only. Loosen the hinge-to-body bolts for both lateral and vertical adjustment.
- Determine which hinge bolts are to be loosened and back them out just enough to allow movement.
- To move the door safely, use a padded prybar. When the door is in the proper position, tighten the bolts to 19-25 ft. lbs. (26-35 Nm) and check the door operation. There should be no binding or interference when the door is closed and opened.
- Door closing adjustment can also be affected by the position of the lock striker plate. Loosen the striker plate bolts and move the striker plate just enough to permit proper closing and locking of the door.
HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL ADJUSTMENT
- Loosen the front door hinge to front door bolts.
- Adjust the front door alignment.
- Tighten the front door hinge to front door bolts to 19-25 ft. lbs. (26-35 Nm).
Check the rear door hinge adjustment before adjusting the front door hinge.
- Remove the front fender.
- Loosen the front door hinge to body bolts.
- Adjust the front door alignment to specification.
- Tighten the front door hinge to body bolts.
- Install the front fender.
The following procedure is for performing fore, aft, up, down and tilt adjustments.
- Remove the door striker.
- Loosen the bolts only enough to allow for slight door movement.
- Carefully close and adjust the door until flush with the adjacent body panels.
- Carefully open the door and tighten the bolts.
- Re-install and adjust the door striker.
- Check the door for proper operation and alignment.
Mark the position of the striker before loosening.
- Loosen the striker retaining bolts.
- Adjust the door striker and tighten the striker retaining bolts.