Ford recommends using Motorcraft Mercon ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) XT-2-QDX or equivalent Mercon ATF fluid (Dexron Mercon III) in the M5OD manual transmission and ZF 5-speed or 6-speed when used in all models except for those with the 6.8L V-10 gasoline or 7.3L diesel engines.
Ford recommends using Motorcraft Mercon synthetic ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) or equivalent in the ZF 5-speed or 6-speed when used in conjunction with the 6.8L V-10 gasoline or 7.3L diesel engines due to the enormous amount of torque these engines creates.
- Park the truck on a level surface, turn off the engine, apply the parking brake and block the wheels.
- Remove the filler plug from the side of the transmission case with a proper size wrench. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the filler hole.
- If additional fluid is necessary, add it through the filler hole using a siphon pump or squeeze bottle.
- Replace the filler plug; do not overtighten.
DRAIN & REFILL
- Place a suitable drain pan under the transmission.
- Remove the drain plug and allow the fluid to drain out.
- Replace the drain plug, remove the filler plug and fill the transmission to the proper level with the required fluid.
- Reinstall the filler plug.