Ford recommends using Motorcraft Mercon ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) XT-2-QDX or equivalent Mercon ATF fluid (Dexron Mercon III).
- Park the truck on a level surface, turn off the engine, apply the parking brake and block the wheels.
- Remove the check/fill plug from the side of the transfer case with a proper size wrench. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the check/fill hole.
- If additional fluid is necessary, add it through the check/fill hole using a siphon pump or squeeze bottle.
- Reinstall the check/fill plug; do not overtighten.
DRAIN & REFILL
- Place a suitable drain pan under the transfer case.
- Remove the drain plug and allow the fluid to drain out.
- Replace the drain plug, remove the check/fill plug and fill the transfer case to the proper level with the required fluid.
- Reinstall the check/fill plug.