The 7.3L diesel engine is equipped with a fuel/water separator in the fuel supply line. A "Water in Fuel" indicator light is provided on the instrument panel to alert the driver. The light should glow when the ignition switch is in the start position to indicate proper light and water sensor function. If the light glows continuously while the engine is running, the water must be drained from the separator as soon as possible to prevent damage to the fuel injection system.
- Shut off the engine. Failure to shut the engine OFF before draining the separator will cause air to enter the system.
- Place an appropriate container under the drain valve on the water separator.
- Manually open the drain valve, and allow the valve to remain open for approximately 15 seconds, or until clear water-free diesel fuel flows out.
- After the water is completely drained, close the water drain valve.
- Start the engine and check the "Water in Fuel" indicator light; it should not be lit. If it is lit and continues to stay so, there is a problem somewhere else in the fuel system.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect both battery ground cables.
- Open the fuel filter/water separator drain valve to release the fuel pressure. Completely drain the fuel filter/water separator assembly.
- Disconnect the fuel supply and fuel return lines.
- Disconnect the two cylinder head fuel supply lines.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the fuel filter/water separator.
- Remove the fuel filter/water separator from the vehicle.
- Disconnect the exhaust back pressure sensor electrical connector.
- Remove the fuel filter/water separator retaining bolts.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.