REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the steering column shroud and lower the steering column.
- Detach the ignition switch electrical harness connector.
- Remove 2 nuts retaining the ignition switch to the steering column housing.
- Lift the ignition switch upward to disengage the actuator rod from the switch and remove the switch.
When installing the ignition switch, both the locking mechanism at the top of the column and the switch itself must be in theemphasis type="medium" LOCK/emphasis position for correct adjustment. To hold the mechanical parts of the column in the emphasis type="medium" LOCK/emphasis position, move the shift lever into emphasis type="medium" PARK/emphasis (with automatic transmissions) or emphasis type="medium" REVERSE/emphasis (with manual transmissions), turn the key to the emphasis type="medium" LOCK/emphasis position, and remove the key. New replacement switches, when received, are already pinned in the emphasis type="medium" LOCK/emphasis position by a metal shipping pin inserted in a locking hole on the side of the switch.
- Engage the actuator rod in the ignition switch.
- Place the ignition switch on the steering column housing and loosely install 2 retaining nuts.
- Move the switch up or down along the column to locate the mid-position of the actuator rod lash, then tighten the retaining nuts to 47-64 inch lbs. (5-7 Nm).
- Raise the steering column into position at instrument panel. Install steering column shroud.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the locking pin, connect the battery cable, and verify that the engine will only crank in PARK and NEUTRAL .Also check to make certain that the start circuit cannot be actuated in the DRIVE and REVERSE positions.