REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
New Venture Transfer Case (1999-00 Super Duty Models)
- Raise and support the truck on jackstands.
- Disconnect the driveshaft at the yoke.
- Remove the yoke nut and washer.
- Pull the yoke from the shaft.
- Center-punch the seal and carefully pry it from its bore. Don't scratch the bore!
- Clean the bore thoroughly.
- Coat the OD of the new seal with sealer and the ID with clean Dexron®II ATF.
- Position the seal squarely in the bore and drive it into place with a seal driver, or similar tool. Don't hammer directly on the seal.
- Install the washer and yoke. Coat the threads of the shaft with a threadlocking compound. Install the nut and torque it to 165 ft. lbs. (223 Nm).
- Install the driveshaft.
- Lower the vehicle.
Ford's procedure states that the front output shaft seal is replaceable only on disassembly/overhaul of the transfer case assembly.