- Before an inspection of the ball joints, make sure the front wheel bearings are properly packed and adjusted.
- Jack up the front of the truck and safely support it with jackstands, placing the stands under the I-beam axle, beneath the spring.
- Have a helper grab the lower edge of the tire and move the wheel assembly in and out.
- While the wheel is being moved, observe the lower spindle arm and the lower part of the axle jaw (the end of the axle to which the spindle assembly attaches). If there is 1 / 32 in. (0.8mm) or greater movement between the lower part of the axle jaw and the lower spindle arm, the lower ball must be replaced.
- To check upper ball joints, grab the upper edge of the tire and move the wheel in and out. If there is 1 / 32 in. (0.8mm) or greater movement between the upper spindle arm and the upper part of the jaw, the upper ball joint must be replaced.
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Remove the spindle as previously described.
- Remove the snapring from the ball joints. Assemble the C-frame assembly T74P-4635-C and receiver cup D81T-3010-A, or equivalents, on the upper ball joint. Turn the forcing screw clockwise until the ball joint is removed from the axle.
- Repeat Step 2 on the lower ball joint.
The upper ball joint must always be removed first. DO NOT heat the ball joint or spindle!
The lower ball joint must be installed first.
- To install the lower ball joint, assemble the C-frame with ball joint receiver cup D81T-3010-A5 and installation cup D81T-3010-A1, and turn the forcing screw clockwise until the ball joint is seated. DO NOT heat the ball joint to aid in installation!
- Install the snapring onto the ball joint.
- Install the upper ball joint in the same manner as the lower ball joint.
- Install the spindle assembly.