REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
- Remove the shock absorber lower attaching bolt and nut.
- Remove the spring lower retainer nuts from inside of the spring coil.
- Remove the upper spring retainer by removing the attaching screw.
- Position jackstands under the frame side rails and lower the axle on a floor jack just enough to relieve tension from the spring.
The axle must be supported on the jack throughout spring removal, and must not be permitted to hang from the brake hose. If the length of the brake hose does not provide sufficient clearance it may be necessary to remove and support the brake caliper.
- Remove the spring lower retainer and lower the spring from the vehicle.
- Place the spring in position and slowly raise the front axle. Make sure the springs are positioned correctly in the upper spring seats.
- Install the lower spring retainer and torque the nut to 100 ft. lbs. (135 Nm).
- Position the upper retainer over the spring coil and tighten the attaching screws to 13-18 ft. lbs. (18-24 Nm).
- Position the shock absorber to the lower bracket and torque the attaching bolt and nut to 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm).
- Remove the jackstands and lower the vehicle.
- Raise the vehicle frame until the weight is off the front spring with the wheels still touching the floor. Support the axle to prevent rotation.
- Disconnect the lower end of the shock absorber from the U-bolt spacer. Remove the U-bolts, U-bolt cap and spacer. On F-350 models, remove the 2 bolts retaining the track bar to the spring cap and the track bar bracket.
- Remove the nut from the hanger bolt retaining the spring at the rear and drive out the hanger bolt.
- Remove the nut connecting the front shackle and spring eye and drive out the shackle bolt and remove the spring.
- Position the spring on the spring seat. Install the shackle bolt through the shackle and spring. Tighten the nuts to 150 ft. lbs. (203 Nm).
- Position the rear of the spring and install the hanger bolt. Tighten the nut to 150 ft. lbs. (203 Nm).
- Position the U-bolt spacer and place the U-bolts in position through the holes in the spring seat cap. Install but do not tighten the U-bolt nut. On the F-350, install the track bar. Tighten the track bar-to-bracket bolts to 200 ft. lbs. (271 Nm).
- Connect the lower end of the shock absorber to the U-bolt spacer. Tighten the fasteners to 60 ft. lbs. (81 Nm) on the F-250; 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm) on the F-350.
- Lower the vehicle and tighten the U-bolt nuts to 120 ft. lbs. (163 Nm).