REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
Whenever a refrigerant line is replaced it is necessary to replace the accumulator/drier also.
To replace a refrigerant line, the A/C system must be first evacuated (refer to Routine Maintenance ). Following, is a series of schematics showing refrigerant line routings and installation details.
- Discharge the A/C system using an approved Recycling/Recovery unit (refer to Routine Maintenance ).
- Disconnect and remove the refrigerant line at the condenser, evaporator and compressor using the disconnect procedure for spring lock couplings.
- Remove the refrigerant line.
- Route the new refrigerant line with protective caps installed.
- Connect the refrigerant line into the system using new O-rings lubricated with clean specified refrigerant oil.
- Evacuate, charge and leak test the system with refrigerant following procedures in Routine Maintenance .
SPRING LOCK COUPLINGS
See Figures 5, 6 and 7
It will be necessary to obtain Spring Lock Coupling Disconnect Tool Set T84L, 19623-A, or equivalent to properly disconnect the couplings.
The garter spring may not be released if the tool is cocked while pushing it into the cage opening.
- Close the tool, then push into the open side of the cage to expand the garter spring. Release the female fitting.
- After the garter spring is expanded, pull the fitting apart.
- Remove the tool from the disconnected coupling.
See Figures 8 and 9
- Check to ensure that the garter spring is in the cage of the male fitting. If the spring is missing, install a new spring by pushing it into the cage opening. If the garter spring is damaged, remove it from the cage with an O-ring pick (do not use a screwdriver), then install a new spring.
- Clean all of the dirt from both of the coupling pieces.
- Use a toothpick to remove the old O-ring, then lubricate and install a new green O-ring seal on the male fitting.
- Use only the specified green seals from the manufacture. Any other O-ring may allow leaks in the system.
- Lubricate the male fitting, green O-ring seals and the inside of the female fitting with clean refrigerant oil.
- Install a plastic indicator ring into the cage opening if the indicator ring is to be used.
- Fit the female fitting to the male fitting, then push and twist slightly until the garter spring snaps over the flared end of the female fitting.
- If the plastic indicator ring is used, it will snap out of the cage opening when the coupling is connected to the indicated engagement.
- If the indicator ring is not to be used, check the coupling engagement by making sure the garter spring is over the flared end of the female fitting.