See Figures 1, 2 and 3
The diesel engine utilizes an electric glow plug system to aid in the start of the engine. The function of this stem is to pre-heat the combustion chamber to aid ignition of the fuel.
The system consists of eight glow plugs (one for each cylinder), control switch, power relay, after glow relay, wait lamp latching relay, wait lamp and the eight fusible links located between the harness and the glow plug terminal.
On initial start with cold engine, the glow plug system operates as follows: The glow plug control switch energizes the power relay (which is a magnetic switch) and the power relay contacts close. Battery current energizes the glow plugs. Current to the glow plugs and a wait lamp will be shut off when the glow plugs are hot enough. This takes from 2 to 10 second after the key is first turned on. When the wait lamp goes off, the engine is ready to start. After the engine is started, the glow plugs begin an on-off cycle for about 40 to 90 seconds. This cycle helps to clear start-up smoke. The control switch (the brain of the operation) is threaded into the left cylinder head coolant jacket; this control unit senses engine coolant temperature. Since the control unit senses temperature and glow plug operation, the glow plug system will not be activated unless needed. On a restart (warm engine) the glow plug system will not be activated unless the coolant temperature drops before 165°F (91°C).
Since the fast start system utilizes 6 volt glow plugs in a 12 volt system to achieve rapid heating of the glow plug, a cycling device is required in the circuit.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 4
- Make sure the ignition switch is OFF .
- For 1994-96 engines, remove the valve cover.
- Disconnect the wire connector from the glow plug.
- Using a 10mm deep socket, with enough clearance as to not break or bend the wiring connector, unscrew the glow plug from the manifold.
- Place anti-seize on the threads of the glow plug and screw it into the manifold.
- Tighten the glow plug to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm).
- Plug the wiring connector.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- For 1994-96 engines, install the valve cover.