REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
Before removing the nozzle assemblies, clean the exterior of each nozzle assembly and the surrounding area with clean fuel oil or solvent to prevent entry of dirt into the engine when nozzle assemblies are removed. Also, clean the fuel inlet and fuel leak-off piping connections. Blow dry with compressed air.
- Remove the fuel line retaining clamp(s) from the injection lines.
- Disconnect the fuel injection lines and fuel leak-off tees from each injector and position out of the way. Cap the open ends of the fuel injectors with protective caps to prevent dirt from entering.
- Remove the injectors by turning them counterclockwise. Pull the assembly with the copper washer attached from the engine. Cover the nozzle spray tips with plastic caps.
Remove the copper injector nozzle gasket from the nozzle bore with special tool, T71P-19703-C, or equivalent, whenever the gasket does not come out with the injector.
- Place the injector assemblies in a fabricated holder as they are removed from the heads. The holder should be marked with numbers corresponding to the cylinder numbering of the engine.
- Thoroughly clean the injector bore in cylinder head with nozzle special tool T83T-9527-A or an equivalent nozzle seat cleaner. Make certain that no small particles of metal or carbon remain on the seating surface. Blow out the particles with compressed air.
- Remove the protective cap and install a new copper gasket on the nozzle tip with a small dab of grease.
Anti-seize compound or equivalent should be used on injectors threads to aid in installation and future removal.
- Install the injector assembly into the cylinder head and tighten to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
- Remove the protective caps from injectors and fuel lines.
- Connect the high pressure fuel lines and tighten them with a flare nut wrench.
- Install the leak-off tees to the nozzle assemblies.
Install two new O-ring seals for each fuel return tee.
- Install the fuel line retainer clamps.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
See Figures 3, 4, 5 and 6
Special tools required:
- Remove the valve cover.
- Disengage the fuel injector electrical connector.
- Remove the oil rail drain plugs.
- Remove the retaining screw and oil deflector. The shoulder bolt on the inboard side of the fuel injector does not require removal.
- Remove the outboard fuel injector retaining bolt.
- Remove the heater distribution box screws, nuts and clip. Remove the outer half of the case (to service No. 4 fuel injector only).
- Remove the fuel injector using Injector Remover No. T94T-9000-AH1, or equivalent. Position the tool's fulcrum beneath the fuel injector hold-down plate and over the edge of the cylinder head. Install the remover screw in the threaded hole of the fuel injector plate (see illustration). Tighten the screw to lift out the injector from its bore. Place the injector in a suitable protective sleeve such as Rotunda Injector Protective Sleeve, No. 014-00933-2, and set the injector in a suitable holding rack.
- Remove the fuel injector sleeves, if required. Insert the Injector Sleeve Tap Plug, 014-00934-3 into the injector sleeve to prevent debris from entering the combustion chamber. Insert Injector Sleeve Tap Pilot into the fuel injector sleeve and tighten 1-1 1 / 2 turns. Attach Slide Hammer T50T-100-A to the Injector Sleeve Tap 014-00934-1 and 014-00934-2 Injector Sleeve Tap Pilot and remove the fuel injector sleeve from the bore.
- Use Rotunda Injector Sleeve Brush 104-00934-A, or equivalent to clean the injector bore of any sealant residue. Make sure to remove any debris.
- If removed, install the fuel injector sleeves using Rotunda Sleeve Replacer, No. 014-00934-4, or equivalent. Apply Threadlock, No. 262-E2FZ-19554-B, or equivalent to the fuel injector sleeves as shown (see illustration). Using a rubber mallet, tap on the tool to seat the injector bore. Remove the tool and remove any residue sealant.
- Clean the fuel injector sleeve using a suitable sleeve brush set. Clean any debris from the sleeve.
- Clean the injector bore with a lint-free shop towel.
Install the fuel injectors using special tools as follows:
- Lubricate the injectors with clean engine oil. Using new copper washers, carefully push the injectors square into the bore using hand pressure only to seat the O-rings.
- Position the open end of Injector Replacer, No. T94T-9000-AH2, or equivalent between the fuel injector body and injector hold-down plate, while positioning the opposite end of the tool over the edge of the cylinder head.
- Align the hole in the tool with the threaded hole in the cylinder head and install the bolt from the tool kit. Tighten the bolt to fully seat the injector, then remove the bolt and tool.
- Install the outer half of the heater distribution box and retaining hardware (for No. 4 injector only).
- Install the oil deflector and bolt. Tighten the bolt to 108 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Install the fuel rail drain plug, tightening it to 96 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
- Install the oil rail drain plug, tightening it to 53 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
- Install the heater distribution box.
- Connect the fuel injector wiring harness.
- Install the valve cover.