The intake air temperature sensor (IAT) changes the resistance in response to the intake air temperature. The sensor resistance decreases as the surrounding air temperature increases. This provides a signal to the PCM indicating the temperature of the incoming air intake.
With ignition OFF , disconnect the IAT sensor. Measure the resistance across the sensor connector terminals. If the reading for a given temperature is about that shown in the table, the IAT sensor is okay.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the wiring to the IAT.
- Remove the sensor from the intake manifold (MFI engines) or air cleaner/tube (SFI engines).
- Clean the sensor area. Install the sensor into the intake manifold and tighten to 12-15 ft. lbs. (16-24 Nm) on MFI engines. Fasten the twist-lock part on SFI engines.
- Attach the wiring to the unit.
- Connect the negative battery cable.