This sensor is used on some 4.9L engines. The KS detects engine vibrations caused by preignition or detonation and provides information to the PCM, which then retards the timing to eliminate detonation.
- With ignition ON and engine OFF , measure voltage between KS connector terminals. If voltage reading is 2.4-2.6V, the circuit between the ECM and KS is okay.
- With engine running at idle and 3000 rpm, measure voltage using a DVOM on the AC setting between the KS terminals. If the AC voltage reading increases as the rpm increases, the sensor is okay.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the wiring from the sensor.
- Remove the sensor from the cylinder block.
- Attach the KS to the cylinder block.
- Attach the electrical connector to the sensor.
- Connect the negative battery cable.