The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor directly measures the mass of the air flowing into the engine. The sensor output is an analog signal ranging from about 0.5-5.0 volts. The signal is used by the PCM to calculate the injector pulse width. The sensing element is a thin platinum wire wound on a ceramic bobbin and coated with glass. This "hot wire'' is maintained at 200°C above the ambient temperature as measured by a constant "cold wire''. The MAF sensor is located in the outlet side of the air cleaner lid assembly.
- Make sure the ignition key is OFF .
- Connect Breakout Box T83L-50-EEC-IV or equivalent, to the PCM harness and connect the PCM.
- Start the engine and let it idle.
- Use a voltmeter to measure the voltage between test pin 50 of the Breakout Box and the battery negative post.
- Replace the MAF sensor if the voltage is not 0.36-1.50 volts.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the air tube at the sensor.
- Disconnect the engine control sensor wiring from the MAF sensor.
- Disconnect the mass air flow sensor.
- Remove the gasket.
- Install the MAF sensor to the vehicle.
- Install the air cleaner cover and tighten the outlet tube clamps to 12-22 inch lbs. (1-3 Nm).
- Attach the engine control sensor wiring to the sensor.
- Connect the negative battery cable.