REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
5.8L Lightning Engine
See Figure 1
- Drain the cooling system.
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
- Loosen the clamps and remove the hoses from the cooler.
- Remove the oil filter.
- Remove the adapter from the engine and separate the cooler from it.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
See Figures 2 and 3
The diesel oil cooler should be disassembled if the cooler O-rings begin to leak.
- Gently rap the front and oil cooler headers to loosen the O-rings. Carefully twist the oil cooler apart.
- Using a suitable solvent, thoroughly clean the oil cooler and the front and filter headers.
- Always use new O-rings when reassembling. Lubricate the new rings and all O-ring mating surfaces with clean engine oil. Install the two narrow O-rings into their respective grooves inside the front and filter headers.
- Place the large O-ring over the oil cooler shell.
- Press the assembly together, making sure the locating clips align with the slots.