See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10
- Remove the 5 capscrews-Torx® bit TX25-and remove hub cap assembly from the hub.
Take care to avoid dropping the spring, ball bearing, bearing race or retainer!
- Remove the rubber seal.
- Remove the seal bridge-a small metal stamping-from the retainer ring space.
- Remove lock ring seated in the groove of the wheel hub by compressing the ends with a needle nose pliers, while pulling the hub lock from the hub body. If body assembly does not slide out easily, use an appropriate puller.
If the hub and spindle are being removed:
- Remove the C-washer from the groove in the stub shaft.
- Remove the splined spacer from the shaft.
- Remove the outer locknut, locking washer and inner bearing locknut.
- Pull the hub and bearings from the spindle.
- See the Wheel Bearing procedure for cleaning and packing the bearings.
- Remove the snapring and flat washer from the inner end of the hub lock assembly
- Pull the hub sleeve and attached parts out of the drag sleeve to unlock the tangs of the brake band. Remove the drag sleeve assembly.
Never remove the brake band from the drag sleeve!
- Wash all parts in a non-flammable solvent and let them air dry.
- Lubricate the brake band and drag sleeve with 1.5g (0.05 oz.) of Automatic Hublock Grease E1TZ-19590-A (ESL-M1C193A) (Darmex Spec. DX-123-LT), or equivalent. Work the lubricant over and under the spring.
- Dip the locking hub body (not the cap or brake band/drag sleeve) into Dexron®II ATF and allow it to drip off the excess.
- Assemble the brake band so that one tang is on each side of the plastic outer cage, located in the window of the steel inner cage. It will probably be necessary to cock these parts to engage the tangs as the drag sleeve is positioned against the face of the cam follower.
- Install the washer and snapring.
- Position the hub and bearings on the spindle. Adjust the bearings as described below.
- Install the splined spacer and C-washer.
- Wipe off excess grease from the splines and start the locking hub assembly into the hub body. Make sure the large tangs are aligned with the lockwasher and the outside diameter, and the inside diameter splines are aligned with the hub and axle shaft splines.
- Install the retaining ring while pushing the locking hub assembly into the hub body.
- Install the seal bridge, narrow end first.
- Install the rubber seal.
- Install the cover, making sure the ball bearing, spring and race are in position.
- Install the 5 Torx® screws and tighten them to 40-50 inch lbs. by tighten one, then skipping one, and so on until they are all tightened.