REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
1988-96 models equipped with the 4.9L MFI, 5.0L MFI and 5.8L MFI engines have a speed sensor attached to the transmission. This device sends information on vehicle speed to the Engine Management System and Cruise Control System. For replacement of this unit, see the Cruise Control procedures in this section.
- Reach up behind the cluster and disconnect the cable by depressing the quick disconnect tab and pulling the cable away.
- Remove the cable from the casing. If the cable is broken, raise the vehicle on a hoist and disconnect the cable from the transmission.
- Remove the cable from the casing.
- To remove the casing from the vehicle pull it through the floor pan.
- To replace the cable, slide the new cable into the casing and connect it at the transmission.
- Route the cable through the floor pan and position the grommet in its groove in the floor.
- Push the cable onto the speedometer head.