3.03 Three Speed
See Figures 1 and 2
A column shift is used with this transmission.
- Install a 3 / 16 (4.76mm) diameter gauge pin, through the locating hole in the steering column shift levers and the plastic spacer.
- Locate the levers in the center of the steering column window.
- Loosen nuts A and B and position the transmission shift levers in the Neutral detents.
- Tighten nuts A and B to 12-18 ft. lbs. (17-24 Nm), using care to prevent motion between the stud and rod.
- Remove the gauge pin.
- Check the linkage operation. Make sure there is no interference between the steering column levers and window when shifting into gear.
Always use new retaining rings and new insulators when making transmission control adjustments. New retaining rings should also be used whenever the existing retaining rings are removed. The rings as well as the plastic grommets where the shift rods are attached, should be replaced whenever excessive wear or looseness is noted during normal vehicle inspections.Ford TOD 4-Speed Overdrive
See Figure 3
A floor mounted shift is used with this transmission.
- Attach the shift rods in the levers.
- Rotate the output shaft to determine that the transmission is in Neutral .
- Insert a alignment pin into the shift control assembly alignment hole.
- Attach the slotted end of the shift rods over the flats of the studs in the shift control assembly.
- Install the locknuts and tighten the locknuts to 15-20 ft. lbs. (21-27 Nm). Remove the alignment pin.
See Figures 4 and 5
The clutch interlock switch is used on all truck models, however this switch is adjustable in some models up to 1991. On vehicles after 1991 the switch in non-adjustable. If the switch does not function it must be replaced.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If the adjusting clip is out of position on the rod, remove both halves of the clip.
- Position both halves of the clip closer to the switch and snap the clips together on the rod.
- Depress the clutch pedal to the floor to adjust the switch.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Check switch function by attempting to start the engine without depressing the clutch pedal, the engine should not start. The engine should start when the clutch pedal is depress.