REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
3.03 Three Speed Transmission
See Figures 1 and 2
Most column mounted shift lever assemblies incorporate a plastic grommet in each lever arm. A special tool T67P-7341 or equivalent is required to install the grommet in the shaft lever and to install the shaft linkage rod into the grommet.
- To remove the rod end connected to the shift column, place the lower jaw of the tool between the shift lever and the shift rod. If working in limited space use tool T84P-341-A or equivalent.
- Position the stop pin against the end of the shift rod and force the rod out of the grommet.
- The grommet is removed from the lever by cutting off the large shoulder of the grommet.
- Remove the grommet from the lever by pushing it out of the lever.
- Disconnect the rod at the transmission manual shift lever by removing the attaching nut and remove the linkage.
- Prior to installing a new grommet, adjust the stop pin if necessary to properly install the grommet. Coat the outside of the grommet with a Multipurpose Long Life lubricant. Then place the grommet on the stop pin and force it into the shift lever hole. Turn the grommet several times to be sure it is properly seated.
- Re-adjust the stop pin to a length which is sufficient to install the shift rod into the grommet. If the pin height is not adjusted, the shaft rod may be pushed too far through the grommet, causing damage to the grommet retaining lip.
- With the pin height properly adjusted, position the shift rod on the tool and force the rod into the grommet until the groove in the rod seats on the inner retaining lip of the grommet.
- Install the shift rods to the correct shift lever and install the retaining nuts. Do not tighten.
- Adjust the shift linkage as described in this section.
See Figure 3
- Raise the vehicle and safely support it with jackstands.
The shift linkage consist of 3 shift rods connected between the shifter and transmission. If all shift rods are being removed, matchmark each rod to the lever it is being removed from. This will insure proper installation location of each rod.
- Disconnect the 3 shift rods at the transmission end by removing the retainer clip and washer then pull each rod free from the shift lever. A bushing should be inside the eye of the shift linkage. Replace this bushing if required.
- Disconnect the shift linkage at the shifter end by removing the locknuts and remove the shift linkage from the vehicle.
- Install the shift rods one at a time to the correct locations marked.
- Replace the bushing at the end of the rod (transmission side) as required.
- Connect the rod to the transmission shift lever and install the washer and retainer clip.
- Connect the rod to the shifter and install the locknut, but do not tighten. Adjust the shift linkage. See the above procedure.
- Remove the jackstands and lower the vehicle.