The Bendix gear is used on F-Super Duty stripped chassis models and motor home chassis models.
Adjustments must be made with the steering gear removed and mounted in a vise.Piston-to-Output Shaft Gear Backlash Adjustment
See Figure 1
Backlash is correct when a 4-18 inch lb. (0.45-2 Nm) increase in rotational torque is noted at the input shaft as it is rotated and the piston passes the mid-point of its total travel in the housing. The torque increase should occur only at mid-point and should disappear after mid-point.
- Loosen the locknut and turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise as far as it will go.
- Using an inch pound torque wrench, rotate the input shaft as far as it will go in one direction, then, counting the number of full turns and noting the rotational torque, rotate it to the opposite stop.
- Turn the shaft back 1 / 2 the total number of turns to the mid-point.
- Rotate the shaft 180° to both sides of the mid-point, noting the change in rotational torque. Turn the adjusting screw 1 / 8 - 1 / 4 turn at a time until the proper reading of 4-18 inch lbs. (0.45-2 Nm) increase in torque is noted over the mid-point. This increase in torque must be plus the total rotational torque.
- When the adjustment is correct, hold the adjusting screw and, using a crow's foot adapter, torque the locknut to 74-88 ft. lbs. (100-119 Nm).
- Check the adjustment to make sure it hasn't changed. Rotate the shaft through its entire travel. It must rotate smoothly.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 2 and 3
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
- Thoroughly clean all connections.
- Place a drain pan under the area.
- Disconnect the hydraulic lines at the gear. Cap all openings at once.
- Remove the retaining bolt and nut and disconnect the Pitman arm from the sector shaft.
- Remove the bolt and nut securing the input shaft and U-joint.
- Support the gear and remove the gear-to-frame bolts and nuts.
- Position the gear on the frame and install the bolts and nuts. Tighten the nuts to 150-200 ft. lbs. (203-271 Nm).
- Install the U-joint bolt and nut. Tighten the nut to 50-70 ft. lbs. (68-95 Nm).
- Install the Pitman arm.
- Install the bolt and nut. Tighten the nut to 220-300 ft. lbs. (298-407 Nm).
- Connect the hydraulic lines, fill the reservoir, run the engine and check for leaks.