- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the lower transaxle fluid pan. Refer to .
- Loosen the locknut and tighten the piston stem to 78-95 inch lbs. (9-11 Nm).
- Loosen the piston stem 2turns.
- Hold the piston stem and tighten the locknut to 18-29 ft. lbs. (25-39 Nm).
- Install the fluid pan.
- Lower the vehicle and fill the transaxle with the proper type and quantity of fluid.
- Check for proper transaxle operation.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Shift the gear selector to the P detent.
- Remove the selector knob mounting screws and remove the selector knob.
- Remove the selector trim piece and the 4 position indicator mounting screws. Disconnect the illumination bulb.
- Disconnect the shift control switch and programmed ride control switch wiring harnesses.
- Remove the position indicator.
- Loosen nuts A and B . The loosen the shift control cable attaching trunnion bolt. Refer to Fig. 2.
- Turn the transaxle-mounted shift lever clockwise to put the transaxle in the P position.
- Tighten nut A by hand until it contacts the spacer, then an additional 1 / 2 turn.
- Tighten the trunnion bolt to 67-96 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm). Tighten nut B to 67-96 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
- Lightly, press the selector pushrod and make sure the guide plate and guide pin clearances are within the specifications shown in Fig. 3.
- Check that the guide plate and guide pin clearances are within the specifications when the selector lever is shifted to N and D .
- Connect the illumination bulb.
- Connect the shift control switch and the programmed ride control switch wiring harnesses.
- Install the position indicator and tighten the mounting screws.
- Install the selector trim piece and position the selector knob. Tighten the knob screws.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- From the left front wheel well, remove the splash shield.
- At the transaxle, remove the square head plug, marked L , and install an adapter and a suitable pressure gauge in the hole.
- Rotate the kickdown cable locknuts to the furthest point from the throttle cam to loosen the cable all the way.
- Place the transaxle into the P position and warm the engine; the idle speed should be 725-775 rpm.
Rotate the locknuts toward the throttle cam until the line pressure exceeds 63-66 psi, rotate the locknuts away from the throttle cam until the line pressure is 63-66 psi and tighten the locknut.
Turn the engine OFF , install the square head plug and torque to 43-87 inch lbs. (5-10 Nm).
- When installing a new kickdown cable, fully open the throttle valve, crimp the pin with the protector installed as shown in Fig. 6. Remove the protector.