The Probe features a self-adjuster mechanism that is built into the parking brake strut, and compensates for normal brake lining wear. No external adjustment is necessary or possible.
- Check the distance from the center of the pedal pad to the floor. The distance should be 8.74-8.94 in. (222-227mm).
- If adjustment is necessary, disconnect the stoplight switch electrical connector and loosen the switch locknut.
- Rotate the switch until the pedal height is within specification.
- Tighten the locknut and connect the electrical connector.
- If equipped with power brakes, depress the brake pedal a few times in order to eliminate the vacuum in the power booster.
- Gently depress the pedal by hand and check the brake free play (the distance the pedal travels until the valve plunger contacts the stopper plate and resistance is felt). The free play should be 0.16-0.28 in. (4-7mm).
- If adjustment is necessary, loosen the clevis locknut on the brake pedal pushrod.
- Turn the clevis until the free play is within specification.
- Tighten the clevis locknut.