REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the transaxle assembly. Refer to the procedure in this Section.
- Position a suitable clutch alignment tool through the pressure plate, clutch disc and into the pilot bearing; this will keep the assembly from dropping when the bolts are removed.
- Use a suitable tool to keep the flywheel from turning. Remove the pressure plate-to-flywheel bolts, a little at a time, evenly, to relieve the spring pressure.
- Remove the pressure plate, clutch disc and alignment tool.
- Inspect the pressure plate and clutch disc for wear and/or damage and replace, as necessary.
- Inspect the pilot bearing for excessive wear or scoring. Remove it, using a suitable puller, only if replacement is necessary.
- Inspect the flywheel for scoring, cracks, worn or broken teeth, or other damage. Remove the flywheel if machining or replacement is necessary. Use care when removing the last bolt to prevent dropping the flywheel.
- Remove the release bearing and fork. Inspect them for wear or damage and replace, as necessary
- Apply clutch grease to the release bearing and release fork in the areas shown in Fig. 204.
- Install the release fork and bearing.
- If removed, install the flywheel. Make sure the crankshaft flange and flywheel mating surfaces are clean. Tighten the flywheel bolts, in sequence, to 71-76 ft. lbs. (96-103 Nm) on 2.2L engines or 54-64 ft. lbs. (73-87 Nm) on the 3.0L engine.
- If removed, install a new pilot bearing using a suitable installation tool. When installed, the pilot bearing should be 0.150-0.165 in. (3.8-4.2mm) below the surface of the crankshaft flange.
- Apply a small amount of clutch grease to the clutch disc and input shaft splines. Do not let grease get on the clutch face.
- Install the clutch disc and alignment tool. Make sure the disc is facing the direction shown in Fig. 207.
- Install the pressure plate to the flywheel. Install the pressure plate-to-flywheel bolts and torque, evenly, a little at a time, to 13-20 ft. lbs. (18-26 Nm) in the proper sequence.
- Install the transaxle assembly and lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Check for proper clutch operation.