REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the rocker arm (valve) cover.
- Remove the rocker arm and shaft assembly mounting bolts. Start at the ends and work toward the center of the shafts, when removing the bolts.
- If necessary, separate the rocker arms and springs from the shafts; be sure to keep the parts in order for reinstallation purposes.
- Clean and inspect the shafts and rocker arms for wear. Measure the difference between the rocker arm shaft outside diameter and the rocker arm inside diameter; this is the oil clearance. If the oil clearance exceeds 0.004 in. (0.10mm), replace the shaft and/or the rocker arm(s).
- If they were disassembled, coat the rocker arm shafts and rocker arms with engine oil and assemble them with the springs. When assembling and installing on the cylinder head, note the notches at the ends of the shafts; they are different on the intake and exhaust side and cannot be interchanged.
- Install the rocker arm/shaft assemblies onto the cylinder head and torque the rocker arm shaft-to-cylinder head bolts, in sequence, to 13-20 ft. lbs. (18-26 Nm), in 2 steps.
- Install the rocker arm (valve) cover.
- Remove the rocker arm (valve) cover(s).
- Remove the rocker arm mounting bolts, fulcrums and rocker arms. Identify the position of the rocker arms and fulcrums so they may be reinstalled in their original locations.
- Inspect the rocker arms, fulcrums and pushrod ends for wear and/or damage and replace as necessary.
- If removed, dip each pushrod in heavy engine oil and install in its original position. If not removed, lubricate the pushrod ends with heavy engine oil.
- Dip each rocker arm and fulcrum in heavy engine oil and install in its original position. For each rocker arm, rotate the crankshaft until the lifter rests on the base circle of the camshaft lobe, before tightening the fulcrum mounting bolts to 24 ft. lbs. (32 Nm). Make sure the fulcrum is fully seated in the cylinder head and the pushrod is fully seated in the rocker arm socket before tightening.
- Install the rocker arm (valve) cover(s).