REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Before starting the following procedure, clean the area around the turbocharger assembly with a non-caustic solution. After the turbocharger is removed, cover the openings to prevent the entry of foreign material while it is off the engine.
During removal, be careful not to bend, nick, or in any way damage the compressor wheel blades. Damage may result in rotating assembly imbalance, and bearing and oil seal failure. Any time a turbocharger assembly has been removed, gently spin the turbine wheel before reassembly to ensure the rotating assembly does not bind.
Any time an engine bearing (main bearing, connecting rod bearing, camshaft bearing) has been damaged in a turbocharged engine, the oil and filter should be changed and the turbocharger flushed with clean engine oil to reduce the possibility of contamination.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the air inlet and outlet hoses from the turbocharger assembly.
- Remove the heat shields from the exhaust manifold and turbocharger.
- Disconnect the oxygen sensor electrical connector and place the wire over the front of the vehicle, away from the heat shield.
- From the top of the turbocharger, remove the oil feed line. From the lower portion of the turbocharger, remove oil return line and gasket.
- Disconnect the coolant inlet and outlet hoses from the turbocharger.
- Remove the EGR tube from the exhaust manifold. Disconnect the turbo boost control solenoid valve electrical connector.
- Remove the air tube from the turbo boost control solenoid valve at the turbocharger outlet air hose.
- From under the turbocharger, remove the retaining bracket-to-turbocharger bolt.
- Properly discharge the air conditioning system and remove the refrigerant line from the head of the compressor.
- Remove the oxygen sensor from the turbocharger.
- Disconnect the converter inlet pipe from the turbocharger joint pipe. Remove the exhaust manifold-to-cylinder head bolts, the exhaust manifold/turbocharger assembly and the gasket from the vehicle.
- Remove the exhaust manifold-to-turbocharger nuts, the manifold and the gasket from the turbocharger. Remove the joint pipe-to-turbocharger nuts, the pipe, heat shield and the gasket from the turbocharger.
- Clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
- Using a new gasket, install the joint pipe and heat shield assembly on the turbocharger and torque the nuts to 27-46 ft. lbs (37-63 Nm).
- Using a new gasket, install the exhaust manifold on the turbocharger and torque the nuts to 20-29 ft. lbs. (27-39 Nm).
- Using a new gasket, position the exhaust manifold/turbocharger assembly onto the cylinder head and torque the nuts to 16-21 ft. lbs. (22-28 Nm).
- Using a new gasket, install the converter inlet pipe to the joint pipe and torque the nuts to 26-36 ft. lbs. (34-49 Nm).
- Install the mounting bolt to the retaining bracket under the turbocharger assembly.
- Install the oil return line and coolant outlet hose to the turbocharger assembly.
- Install the air tube to the turbocharger outlet air hose.
- Connect the turbo boost control solenoid valve electrical connector.
- Install the oxygen sensor. To ease the remaining installation procedure, leave the wiring assembly aside of the heat shield assembly.
- Install the EGR tube onto the exhaust manifold and install the coolant inlet hose onto the turbocharger assembly.
- Pour 0.85 oz. (25ml) of engine oil in the oil inlet fitting, then install the oil feed line onto the turbocharger assembly.
- Install the heat shields onto the exhaust manifold and turbocharger assembly.
- Install the inlet and outlet hoses on the turbocharger compressor housing.
- Connect the oxygen sensor electrical connector and install the wiring assembly.
- Connect the refrigerant line to the compressor.
- Fill the cooling system and connect the negative battery cable.
After replacing the turbocharger, perform the following:
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the ignition coil.
- Crank the engine for approximately 20 seconds.
- Reconnect the electrical connector to the ignition coil.
- Start the engine and operate it at idle for approximately 30 seconds.
- Stop the engine, disconnect the negative battery cable and depress the brake pedal for at least 5 seconds to cancel the malfunction code.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine, allow it to reach normal operating temperatures and check for leaks and engine operation. Recharge the air conditioning system.