Motorcraft MERCON (DEXRONII) automatic transmission fluid is required.
- Park the car on a level surface and apply the parking brake. Run the engine to warm up the transaxle fluid.
- Shift the transaxle through all ranges and return the lever to the P position.
- Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean, then insert it firmly. Be certain that it has been pushed fully home. Remove the dipstick and check the fluid level while holding the dipstick horizontally. The level should be at or near the high mark. The dipstick has a high and low mark on both sides, which are accurate for level indications when the fluid is hot (normal operating temperature), or at other than normal operating temperature.
- If the fluid level is below the low mark, place a funnel on the dipstick tube and add Mercon type automatic transmission fluid, one half pint (0.23L) at a time. Check the level often between additions, being careful not to overfill the transmission.
DRAIN AND REFILL
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Support the left-hand crossmember with a screw-type jack, or equivalent.
- Remove the 4 bolts and 1 nut from the front of the left-hand crossmember.
- Remove the 2 nuts and the left-hand transaxle mount through bolt from the rear of the left-hand crossmember.
- Carefully lower the screw-type jack, allowing the crossmember to swing toward the left-hand side of the vehicle.
- Position a drain pan under the transaxle.
- Loosen the pan retaining bolts and drain the fluid from the transaxle.
- When the fluid has drained to the level of the pan flange, remove the pan retaining bolts, working from the rear, to allow it to drop and drain slowly.
- When all the fluid has been drained, remove the pan and clean it thoroughly. Discard the pan gasket.
- Remove and discard the transmission fluid filter and the filter-to-body gasket. The filter should not be reused or cleaned as the element material could contaminate the transaxle.
- Install a new filter assembly using a new gasket. Tighten the retaining bolts to 69-95 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
- Position a new gasket on the pan and install the pan. Tighten the pan retaining bolts to 69-95 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
- Swing the left-hand crossmember into position and support it with the screw-type jack.
- Install the 2 nuts and the left-hand transaxle mount through bolt to the rear of the left-hand crossmember. Tighten the nuts and through bolt to 49-69 ft. lbs. (67-93 Nm).
- Install the 4 bolts and 1 nut to the front of the left-hand crossmember. Tighten the bolts to 27-40 ft.lbs. (36-54 Nm) and the nut to 55-69 ft. lbs. (79-93 Nm).
- Remove the drain pan from under the vehicle. Remove the screw-type jack and then lower the vehicle to the ground.
- Add approximately 7.2 qts. (6.8 liters) of fluid to the transaxle through the filler tube.
- Run the engine and check for leaks. Check the fluid level according to the procedure described earlier.