Ford power steering fluid part number E6AZ-19582-AA or equivalent, or Type F automatic transmission fluid should be used.
- Park the vehicle on level ground and apply the parking brake.
- Run the engine until the fluid reached normal operating temperature.
- With the engine idling, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and right several times to get any air out of the system.
- Return the wheels to the straight-ahead position and turn the engine off.
- Check the power steering fluid level. Vehicles with the 2.2L engine are equipped with a see through type reservoir; make sure the fluid level is between the LOW and FULL HOT marks. Vehicles with the 3.0L engine have a dipstick type reservoir; make sure the fluid level is between the H and L marks.
- If the fluid level is low, add small amounts of fluid until the level is correct. Do not overfill.