REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly and the grease cap.
- Using a cape chisel and a hammer, raise the staked portion of the hub nut.
- Remove and discard the hub nut.
- Remove the brake drum or disc brake rotor assembly from the spindle. Refer to .
- Using a small prybar, pry the grease seal from the brake drum or rotor and discard it.
- Remove the snapring. Using a shop press, press the wheel bearing from the brake drum or rotor.
- Using a shop press, press the new wheel bearing into the brake drum or rotor until it seats and install the snapring.
- Lubricate the new seal lip with grease and install the seal, using a suitable installation tool.
- Position the brake drum or rotor onto the wheel spindle.
- Install a new locknut and tighten to 73-131 ft. lbs. (98-178 Nm).
Check the wheel bearing endplay as follows:
- Rotate the drum or rotor to make sure there is no brake drag.
- Install a suitable dial indicator and check the wheel bearing endplay. Endplay should not exceed 0.008 in. (0.2mm).
- Using a dull cold chisel, stake the locknut.
- Install the grease cap and the wheel and tire assembly. Tighten the lug nuts to 65-87 ft. lbs. (88-118 Nm). Lower the vehicle.