REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the vehicle, safely.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the rubber cap from the strut mounting block. If equipped, disconnect the programmed ride control module connector.
- At the inside of the strut mounting block and chassis strut tower, place an alignment mark.
- If equipped, remove the programmed ride control actuator.
- If equipped with anti-lock brakes, disconnect the electrical harness and remove the bracket.
- Remove the brake caliper from the caliper anchor bracket. Suspend the caliper with mechanics wire; do not disconnect the brake hose. Remove the caliper anchor bracket.
- Remove the U-clip from the brake line hose and slide it out of the strut bracket.
- Remove the strut-to-steering knuckle bolts.
- Remove the vane airflow meter assembly and remove the ignition coil bracket from the strut tower.
- Remove the strut-to-chassis nuts and remove the strut from the vehicle.
- Install the strut in the shock tower. Align the marks that were made during removal and torque the strut-to-chassis nuts to 34-46 ft. lbs. (46-63 Nm).
- Install the vane airflow meter assembly and the ignition coil bracket.
- If equipped, install the programmed ride control actuator and the connector.
- Install the rubber cap on the strut tower.
- Align the strut to the steering knuckle and torque the nuts/bolts to 69-86 ft. lbs. (93-117 Nm).
- Install the caliper anchor bracket and caliper. Connect the brake hose to its bracket on the strut.
- Install the anti-lock brake system bracket and harness, if equipped.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly. Tighten the lug nuts to 65-87 ft. lbs. (88-118 Nm). Lower the vehicle.
- Place the strut assembly in a suitable vice. Loosen, but do not remove the shock absorber nut.
- Remove the strut assembly from the vice and compress the spring, using Macpherson strut spring compressor D85P-7178-A or equivalent.
- Remove the shock absorber nut.
- Gradually release the spring compressor. Be careful not to strip the threads on the shock absorber as the spring expands.
- Remove the programmed ride control actuator bracket, if equipped, strut mounting block, upper rubber spring seat, dust boot, bump stopper and the coil spring from the shock absorber.
- Install the coil spring, bump stopper, dust boot and the upper spring seat on the shock absorber.
- Install the strut mounting block and the programmed ride control actuator bracket, if equipped, making sure the notch on the mounting block is 180 degrees from the knuckle mounting bracket on the shock absorber.
- Compress the spring with the compressor tool and install the shock absorber nut. Tighten the nut to 47-69 ft. lbs. (64-84 Nm).
- Gradually release the compressor tool and remove from the strut assembly.