REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Relieve the fuel pressure and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Depress the clips on each end of the rear seat cushion and remove the cushion.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the fuel pump/sending unit.
- Remove the attaching screws from the fuel pump/sending unit access cover and remove the cover.
- Disconnect the fuel supply and return hoses from the fuel pump/sending unit.
- Remove the attaching screws and the fuel pump/sending unit from the fuel tank.
- Disconnect the sending unit electrical connector, remove the sending unit attaching nuts and remove the sending unit from the fuel pump assembly.
- Attach the sending unit to the fuel pump assembly and install the nuts. Connect the sending unit electrical connector.
- Install the fuel pump/sending unit into the fuel tank and install the mounting screws.
- Connect the fuel supply and return lines.
- Install the access cover and the mounting screws.
- Connect the sending unit electrical connector.
- Position the rear seat cushion over the floor, making sure to align the retaining pins with the clips. Push down firmly until the 2 retaining pins are locked into the rear seat retaining clips.
- Connect the negative battery cable, start the engine and check for proper system operation and for fuel leaks.
- Relieve the pressure in the fuel system, then disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Install a suitable fuel pressure gauge between the fuel filter and the fuel rail.
- On 2.2L engines, connect a jumper wire between the BK and LG terminals of the fuel pump test connector. On the 3.0L engine, ground the fuel pump lead of the self-test connector through a jumper wire at the FP lead.
- Connect the negative battery cable, turn the ignition key ON and check the fuel pump pressure. The pressure should be 64-85 psi on the 2.2L engines or 35-40 psi on the 3.0L engine.
- If there is no fuel pressure, remove the fuel tank cap and try to hear if the fuel pump is operating. If the pump sounds like it's running, check for a restriction in the fuel line. If the pump is not running, check for power to the pump and check the pump motor ground. If there is no power to the pump, check all electrical connections and check the fuel pump relay.
- If fuel pressure is low, check for a restriction in the fuel line or clogged fuel filters.
- Remove the jumper wire, relieve the fuel system pressure and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the fuel pressure gauge and reconnect the fuel line.
- Connect the negative battery cable.