REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the cooling system into a suitable container.
- Remove the instrument panel assembly. Refer to .
- Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core extension tubes and cap the extension tubes to prevent spilling coolant into the passenger compartment.
- On non-air conditioned vehicles, remove the main air duct from the vehicle.
- If equipped with air conditioning, remove the evaporator casing from the vehicle. Refer to the Evaporator Core removal and installation procedure in this Section.
- Remove the 3 heater case mounting nuts.
- If equipped with automatic temperature control, disconnect the electrical connectors from the function control and temperature blend actuator motors.
- Remove the heater case by pulling it straight out, being careful not to damage the extension tubes.
- Remove the 2 screws attaching the heater core tube braces to the heater case and remove the tube braces. Remove the heater core by pulling it straight out.
- Install the heater core in the heater case. Install the heater core tube braces and secure them with the screws.
- Position the heater case onto its mounting studs, being careful not to damage the heater core extension tubes. Install the 3 mounting nuts.
- If equipped with automatic temperature control, connect the electrical connectors to the actuator motors.
- Install the main air duct or evaporator case into the vehicle, as required.
- Make sure the rubber grommets for the extension tubes are still in place in the engine side of the bulkhead.
- Uncap the extension tubes and connect the heater hoses. Secure them with the clamps.
- Install the instrument panel.
- Fill the cooling system and connect the negative battery cable. Check the operation of the heater system and check for leaks.