REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the brake drum and the brake shoes.
- Remove the parking brake return spring using needle nose pliers. Be careful not to overextend the spring.
- Remove the parking brake cable attaching bolts and remove the cable from the backing plate.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable from the parking brake lever.
- Disconnect the brake line fitting from the wheel cylinder using a tubing wrench.
- Remove the wheel cylinder attaching bolts and remove the wheel cylinder.
- Remove the backing plate attaching bolts and remove the backing plate from the spindle.
- Install the backing plate on the spindle with the attaching bolts. Tighten the bolts to 31-47 ft. lbs. (45-67 Nm).
- Position the wheel cylinder on the backing plate, install the bolts and tighten to 7-9 ft. lbs. (10-13 Nm).
- Connect the brake line to the wheel cylinder and tighten the fitting to 10-16 ft. lbs. (13-22 Nm).
- Install the parking brake lever in the backing plate. Lubricate the pin on the parking brake strut with high temperature grease.
- Install the brake shoes.
- Connect the parking brake cable to the parking brake lever. Install the cable-to-backing plate bolts and tighten securely.
- Install the parking brake return spring.
- Install the brake drum and the wheel and tire assembly. Lower the vehicle.
- Firmly apply the brakes 2-3 times to adjust the rear brakes.