REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the vehicle, safely. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the upper trunk side garnish and lower trunk side trim to gain access to the strut assembly.
- If equipped with programmed ride control, disconnect the programmed ride control module connector and removed the module.
- If equipped with anti-lock brakes, remove the anti-lock brake harness and remove the bracket.
- If equipped with drum brakes, remove the drum and backing plate assembly. If equipped with rear disc brakes, remove the rear disc brake caliper and rotor assembly. Refer to .
- Remove the brake line U-clip from the strut housing.
- Loosen, but do not completely remove, the trailing arm bolt. Remove the spindle-to-strut bolts.
- From inside the vehicle, remove the strut-to-chassis nuts. Remove the strut assembly.
- Position the strut into the strut tower and torque the strut-to-chassis nuts to 34-46 ft. lbs. (46-63 Nm).
- If equipped with programmed ride control, install the module and reconnect the connector.
- Install the lower trunk side trim and the upper trunk side garnish.
- Install the spindle-to-strut mounting bolts and tighten to 69-86 ft. lbs. (93-117 Nm). Tighten the trailing arm mounting bolt to 64-86 ft. lbs. (86-117 Nm).
- Install the brake drum and backing plate or the caliper and rotor assembly, as applicable. Install the brake line U-clip onto the strut.
- If equipped, install the ABS brake harness and bracket.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly and tighten the lug nuts to 65-87 ft. lbs. (88-118 Nm). Lower the vehicle.
- Mount the strut assembly in a suitable vice and loosen, but do not completely remove the shock absorber nut.
- Remove the strut assembly from the vice and compress the spring, using spring compressor 086-00029 or equivalent.
- Remove the shock absorber nut.
- Gradually release the spring compressor. Be careful not to strip the threads on the shock absorber as the spring expands.
- Remove the strut mounting block, upper rubber spring seat, dust boot, bump stopper and the coil spring from the shock absorber.
- Install the coil spring, bump stopper, dust boot and the upper spring seat on the shock absorber.
- Install the strut mounting block. The mounting block will not seat on the shock absorber unless the notches on the block line up with those on the shock absorber.
- Compress the spring with the compressor tool and install the shock absorber nut. Tighten the nut to 47-69 ft. lbs. (64-84 Nm).
- Gradually release the compressor tool and remove from the strut assembly.