The fuel filter is attached to a bracket located in the left rear of the engine compartment, next to the brake master cylinder fluid reservoir. The fuel filter should be serviced according to the Maintenance Intervals Chart at the end of this section.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Relieve the fuel system pressure as follows:
- Start the engine.
- Disconnect the fuel pump relay from the relay box.
- After the engine stalls, turn the ignition switch OFF and reconnect the fuel pump relay to the relay box.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- On 2.2L engines, remove the fuel line clamps. On 3.0L engine, remove the fuel line clips.
- Disconnect the fuel lines from the filter and plug the ends to prevent leakage.
- Loosen the bolt and nut and remove the fuel filter from its mounting bracket. Note the direction of the flow arrow on the filter so the replacement filter can be installed in the correct position.
- Install the fuel filter in its mounting bracket, making sure the flow arrow is pointing in the proper direction. Tighten the bracket bolt and nut.
- Unplug the fuel lines and connect them to the fuel filter.
- On 2.2L engines, install the fuel line clamps. On 3.0L engine, install new fuel line clips into the fuel line connector onto the filter, assuring a positive lock.
- Connect the negative battery cable.