- Verify the concern.
Visually inspect for obvious signs of mechanical and electrical damage to the following:
Brake fluid level
Check ABS fuses:
- Smart Junction Box (SJB) fuses 20 (10A) and 32 (5A)
- Battery junction box (BJB) fuses 17 (40A) and 33 (30A)
- If an obvious cause for an observed or reported concern is found, correct the cause (if possible) before proceeding to the next step.
If the cause is not visually evident, connect the scan tool to the Data Link Connector (DLC).
NOTEMake sure to use the latest scan tool software release.
- Scan for DTC and record.
- Clear the continuous DTCs and carry out the self-test diagnostics for the ABS module.
- If the DTCs retrieved are related to the concern, go to the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Chart.
Inspection And Verification
- Verify the customer concern.
- Verify the stoplamps operate correctly by pressing and releasing the brake pedal with the ignition switch in the OFF position. If the stoplamps operate correctly, proceed to the next step.
- Verify that the PRNDL operates correctly on the instrument cluster. If the PRNDL operates correctly, proceed to the next step.
- Visually inspect for obvious signs mechanical or electrical damage.
- Inspect to determine if one of the following mechanical or electrical concerns apply.
Connect the scan tool to the Data Link Connector (DLC) and select the vehicle to be tested from the scan tool menu. If the scan tool does not communicate with the vehicle:
- Check that the program card is correctly installed.
- Check the connections to the vehicle.
- Check the ignition switch position.
If the scan tool still does not communicate with the vehicle, refer to the scan tool operating manual.
NOTEIf equipped with stability assist, the vehicle must be at a complete standstill when carrying out the self-test. Any movement of the vehicle during the self-test may result in false DTCs being set.
Carry out the scan tool data link test. If the scan tool responds with:
- System passed, retrieve and record the continuous Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs), erase the continuous DTCs, and carry out self-test diagnostics for the ABS module.
If the DTCs retrieved are related to the malfunction, go to the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index to continue diagnosis.
NOTEThe need to calibrate the module is indicated by the active/fail lamp flashing. There are other service actions that can require calibration when there is no flashing lamp. The lamp flashes after clearing the DTCs that are indicated in the ABS module calibration list.
NOTEAlways retrieve the continuous DTCs after running the self-test.
NOTEIf DTCs B2900, C1805, and U1900 are set at the time, diagnose the concern for U1900 first.
NOTEDTC C1730 (Reference Voltage Out Of Range) must be repaired before DTCs C1279, C1280, C1281, C1282, C1288, or C1289.
NOTEIf DTC B1342 as well as other DTCs are present, REPAIR the others first before replacing the control module. Next CLEAR the DTCs and then RETRIEVE the DTCs. If DTC B1342 is still retrieved, INSTALL a new module and REPEAT the self-test.
Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index
B1342 ECU is Defective
B1483 Brake Pedal Input Circuit Failure
B1485 Brake Pedal Position (BPP) Switch Circuit Failure
B1676 Battery Pack Voltage Out of Range
B2141 Vehicle Speed Calibration Data Not Programmed Into Module
B2477 Module Configuration Failure
B2607 Harness/Configuration Mismatch
B2734 Pedal Travel Sensor (PTS) Supply Error
B2736 Pedal Travel Sensor (PTS) Circuit Fault
B2737 Pedal Travel Sensor (PTS) Jammed Error
B2738 Pedal Travel Sensor (PTS) Velocity Error
B2740 Pedal Travel Sensor (PTS) Spike Error
B2741 Sensor Cluster Loop End
B2900 VIN Mismatched
C1095 ABS Hydraulic Pump Motor Circuit Failure
C1102 G-Switch Circuit Failure
C1145 Wheel Speed Sensor RF Input Circuit Failure
C1155 Wheel Speed Sensor LF Input Circuit Failure
C1165 Wheel Speed Sensor RR Input Circuit Failure
C1175 Wheel Speed Sensor LR Input Circuit Failure
C1230 Rear Axle Speed Sensor Circuit Failure (Static)
C1233 Wheel Speed LF Input Signal Missing
C1234 Wheel Speed RF Input Signal Missing
C1235 Wheel Speed RR Input Signal Missing
C1236 Wheel Speed LR Input Signal Missing
C1237 Rear Axle Speed Sensor Output Failure (Dynamic)
C1277 Steering Wheel Angle 1 and 2 Circuit Failure
C1278 Steering Wheel Angle 1 and 2 Signal Faulted
C1279 Yaw Rate Sensor Circuit Failure
C1280 Yaw Rate Sensor Signal Fault
C1281 Lateral Accelerometer Circuit Failure
C1282 Lateral Accelerometer Signal Fault
C1285 Booster Solenoid Circuit Failure
C1287 Booster Pedal Force Switch Circuit Failure
C1288 Brake Pressure Transducer Input Circuit Failure
C1440 Pressure Transducer Input Circuit Failure
C1516 Roll Rate Signal Fault
C1517 Roll Rate Sensor Circuit Fault
B1676 Battery Voltage Out Of Range
C1730 Reference Voltage Out of Range (+5 V)
C1805 Mismatched PCM and/or ABS/TC Module
C1940 Brake Pressure Switch Circuit Failure
C1960 Driver Brake Apply Circuit Fault
C1963 Stability Control Inhibit Warning
C1991 Module Calibration Failure
C1996 Active Yaw Control Disabled
C1998 Module Calibration Not Complete
C2769 Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor Circuit Failure
C2770 Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor Signal Fault
C2777 Sensor Cluster Bus Failure
C2778 Sensor Cluster Voltage Supply Failure
U1009 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Engine Torque
U1027 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Engine RPM
U1059 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Engine RPM
U1073 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Engine Coolant
U1262 SCP (J1850) Communication Bus Fault
U1900 CAN Communication Bus Fault-Receive Error
U1901 CAN Network #2 Communication Bus Fault-Receive Error
U2023 Fault received from external node