The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is a magnetic pick-up that sends a signal to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The sensor measures the rotation of the transmission and the PCM determines the corresponding vehicle speed.
Removal & Installation
- With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.
- Disconnect the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)/Output Shaft Speed (OSS) sensor electrical connector
- Remove the VSS/OSS sensor screw.
- Remove the VSS/OSS sensor from the transmission.
- To install, reverse the removal procedure and tighten mounting bolt to 89 inch. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
- Disengage the wiring harness connector from the VSS.
Using a Digital Volt-Ohmmeter (DVOM), measure the resistance (DVOM ohmmeter function) between the sensor terminals. If the resistance is 190-250 ohms, the sensor is okay.