The 4.0L and 4.6 Over Head Camshaft (OHC) engines are equipped with hydraulic lash adjusters. The 4.0L and 5.0L Over Head Valve (OHV) engines are equipped with hydraulic lifters. No further adjustment is possible.
Remove the valve cover.
CAUTIONTurn the engine clockwise only, and use the crankshaft bolt only.
- Measure each valve's clearance at base circle with the lobe pointed away from the tappet, before removing the camshafts. Failure to measure all clearances prior to removing the camshafts will necessitate repeated removal and installation and wasted labor time.
- Use a feeler gauge to measure each valve's clearance and record its location.
- A midrange clearance is the most desirable: intake: 0.008-0.011 in. (0.22-0.28mm), exhaust 0.010-0.013 in (0.27-0.33mm).
- Select tappets using this formula: tappet thickness = measured clearance plus the base tappet thickness minus most desirable thickness.
- Select tappets and mark installation location.
- If any tappets do not measure within specifications, install new tappets in those locations