Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, raise and support the vehicle.
Remove the front wheel and tire assembly.
NOTEDo not reuse the torque prevailing design hub nut and washer assembly.
Remove and discard the hub nut and washer assembly.
WARNINGDo not allow the disc brake caliper to hang suspended from the brake hose. Provide a suitable support.
- Remove the front disc brake caliper, anchor plate, and pads as an assembly, and position the assembly aside.
Remove the brake disc.
WARNINGDo not use a hammer to separate the outboard front wheel halfshaft joint from the wheel hub. Damage to the outboard CV joint stub shaft threads and internal CV joint components may result.
- Using the special tool, separate the outboard front wheel halfshaft joint from the wheel hub. Remove the special tool.
- Support the front suspension lower arm.
- Remove the nut and bolt retaining the upper ball joint to the front wheel knuckle.
- Rotate the front wheel knuckle.
- Compress the outboard front wheel halfshaft joint.
- Remove the outboard front wheel halfshaft joint from the wheel hub.
- Using the special tools, 205-241 and 100-001, or equivalent, separate the inboard front wheel halfshaft joint from the front axle housing.
- Remove the halfshaft assembly from the vehicle with both hands. Do not damage the axle seal.
Install the halfshaft with a new hub nut and washer assembly. Do not use power or impact tools to tighten the hub nut and washer assembly.
Install a new retainer circlip in the groove in the LH inboard CV joint housing stub shaft before installing the halfshaft in the vehicle. To prevent the new retainer circlip from over-expanding when installing it, start one end in the groove and work the circlip over the shaft and into the groove.
To install, reverse the removal procedure. Observe the following torques:
Hub nut: 162 ft. lbs. (220 Nm)