Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the rear stabilizer bar on vehicles equipped with rear stabilizer bars.
- Remove the rear stabilizer bar link nuts and bolt.
- Remove the rear stabilizer bar link.
- Remove the rear stabilizer bar mounting bracket bolts and remove the brackets.
- Remove the rear stabilizer bar.
- Remove the axle shafts. For additional information, refer to axle shaft bearing and seal in this section.
- Disconnect the rear brake anti-lock sensor electrical connector from the sensor.
- Separate the wiring harness from the clips and position the harness aside.
- Disconnect the vent hose from the axle.
Separate the brake lines from the retaining clips on the axle.
NOTEDo not disconnect the brake lines from the brake hose junction block.
- Disconnect the brake hose junction block from the differential housing.
- Disconnect the rear brake backing plates from the axle. Wire the assemblies aside.
Position a suitable jack under the differential housing and strap it securely in place.
- Remove the nuts and bolts retaining the shock absorbers to the axle.
Remove the nuts, the rear axle U-bolts and the rear spring plates.
- Lower the rear axle from the vehicle.
- Support and raise axle housing to the vehicle.
- Install rear axle U-bolts and spring plates being careful to line up dowels on springs to rear axle housing.
Install the rear axle U-bolts and the rear spring plates and tighten U-bolts to 76 ft. lbs. (103 Nm).
NOTEMake sure dowels on leaf springs are properly lined up to spring plates and axle housing.
- Install rear shocks and tighten mounting bolts to 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm).
- Install rear axle housing brake backing plates.
- Reconnect the rear brake junction block to axle housing and tighten mounting bolt to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm).
- Secure rear brake lines to axle housing.
- Reconnect the rear brake anti-lock sensor electrical connector to the sensor.
- Install axle shafts.
- Install the rear stabilizer bar and related parts if previously removed.
- Check rear axle for gear lubricant and add as needed.
- Bleed and adjust brakes if needed.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
- Lower vehicle.