- Check and adjust the front wheel bearings. Raise the vehicle and position a jackstand under the I-beam axle beneath the coil spring.
- Have a helper grasp the upper edge of the tire and move the wheel assembly in and out.
- While the wheel is being moved, observe the lower spindle arm and the lower part of the axle jaw.
- A 1 / 32 in. (0.8mm) or greater movement between the lower part of the axle jaw and the lower spindle arm indicates that the lower ball joint must be replaced
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Raise and support the vehicle safely, with jackstands.
- Remove the spindle and the ball joint assembly from the vehicle.
- Remove the snapring from the ball joint. Using a ball joint removal tool, remove the ball joint from the spindle. Do not heat the ball joint or the axle to aid in removal.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Torque the ball joint stud nut to 101-116 ft. lbs. for 1983-88 Ranger and Bronco II.
- Torque the stud nut to 92-110 ft. lbs. for 1989-90 Ranger and Bronco II.