REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
2.0L and 2.3L Engines
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the air cleaner and dust assembly. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the EGR line at the exhaust manifold. Loosen the EGR tube. Remove the check valve at the exhaust manifold and disconnect the hose at the end of the air by-pass valve.
- Remove the bracket attaching the heater hoses to the valve cover. Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold.
- Remove the exhaust manifold mounting bolts/nuts and remove the manifold.
- Install the exhaust manifold in the reverse order. Torque the manifold in sequence in two steps, first 5-7 ft. lbs. and then 16-23 ft. lbs.
2.2L Diesel Engine
- Disconnect the ground cables from both batteries.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold.
- Remove the heater hose bracket from the valve cover and exhaust manifold studs.
- Remove the vacuum pump support brace and bracket. Remove the bolt that attaches the engine oil dipstick tube support bracket to the exhaust manifold.
- Remove the nuts that attach the exhaust manifold to the engine and remove the manifold.
- Clean all gasket mounting surfaces. Install a new mounting gasket and install the exhaust manifold and components in the reverse order of removal. Torque the mounting bolts to 17-20 ft. lbs. After warming up the engine, retighten the bolts to the same torque specification.
2.3L Diesel Engine
- Disconnect battery ground cable from both batteries.
- Remove support brackets from A/C compressor bracket, inlet fitting and intake manifold.
- Remove A/C compressor from mounting bracket and position out of the way.
- Remove inlet fitting from intake manifold.
- Remove air inlet tube from air cleaner-to-turbo inlet.
- Remove wastegate actuator from turbocharger and mounting bracket.
- Raise vehicle and disconnect muffler inlet pipe from turbo exhaust fitting. Lower vehicle.
- Disconnect turbo oil feed line from cylinder head and turbo center housing.
- Remove nuts attaching exhaust manifold to cylinder head and remove exhaust manifold and turbocharger as an assembly.
- Remove turbocharger from exhaust manifold if necessary.
- Install turbocharger on exhaust manifold, if removed. Tighten nuts to specification.
- Position exhaust manifold on cylinder head and install attaching nut. Tighten nuts to specification.
- Install turbo oil feed line and tighten fittings and clamp bolt to specification.
- Raise vehicle and connect muffler inlet pipe to turbo exhaust fitting. Tighten to specification. Lower vehicle.
- Install wastegate actuator. Tighten bolts to specification.
- Install air inlet tube between turbo inlet and air cleaner.
- Connect inlet fitting to intake manifold and tighten to specification.
- Install A/C compressor and compressor mounting bracket braces.
- Connect battery ground cables to both batteries.
- Run engine and check for oil and exhaust leaks.
2.8L and 2.9L Engines
See Figures 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Remove the attaching nuts from the exhaust manifold shroud (left side).
- Disconnect the attaching nuts from the muffler inlet pipe. Remove Thermactor components as necessary to allow the removal of the exhaust manifold(s).
- Disconnect the choke heat tubes at the carburetor.
- Remove the manifold attaching bolts.
- Lift the manifold from the cylinder head.
- Position the manifold on the heads and install and tighten the attaching bolts to specification.
- Install a new inlet pipe gasket. Install and tighten the inlet pipe attaching nuts.
- Position the exhaust manifold shroud on the manifold and install and tighten the attaching nuts to specification (left side). Install the Thermactor components that had been removed.
- Install the air cleaner. Reinstall the choke heat tube (if so equipped).
See Figures 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the oil level indicator tube bracket.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the exhaust pipe-to-manifold bolts.
- Lower the vehicle.
- If removing the left-hand manifold, disconnect the power steering pump hoses.
- If removing the right-hand manifold, remove the hot air intake shroud which is bolted around the manifold.
- Unbolt and remove the manifold.
- Clean and lightly oil all fastener threads.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Replace all gaskets if so equipped. Torque the manifold bolts to 19 ft. lbs.; the exhaust pipe nuts to 20 ft. lbs. TIGHTEN BOTH EXHAUST PIPE RETAINING NUTS IN EQUAL AMOUNTS TO CORRECTLY SEAT INLET PIPE FLANGE.
- If installing the left-hand manifold, reconnect the power steering pump hoses, then fill and bleed the system.
- Connect the negative battery cable and run the engine to check for leaks.