REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the transmission, following procedures in Drive Train .
- On a manual shift transmission, remove the clutch pressure plate and cover assembly and clutch disc, following the procedures in Drive Train .
- Remove the flywheel attaching bolts and remove the flywheel.
- Position the flywheel on the crankshaft flange. Coat the threads of the flywheel attaching bolts with Loctite® or equivalent and install the bolts. Tighten the bolts in sequence across from each other to specifications.
- On a manual shift transmission, install the clutch disc and pressure plate and cover assembly following the procedures in Drive Train .
- Install the transmission following the procedure in Drive Train .
RING GEAR REPLACEMENT
This procedure is for manual shift transmission only. On automatic transmission if the ring gear has worn, chipped or cracked teeth, replace the flywheel assembly.
- Heat the ring gear with a blow torch on the engine side of the gear, and knock it off the flywheel. Do not hit the flywheel when removing the ring gear.
- Heat the new ring gear evenly until the gear expands enough to slip onto the flywheel. Make sure the gear is properly seated against the shoulder. Do not heat any part of the gear more than 500 degrees F. If this limit is exceeded, the hardness will be removed from the ring gear teeth.