REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Follow the service procedures under Oil Pan Removal and remove the oil pan assembly.
- Remove the oil pump retainer bolts and remove the oil pump.
- Prime the oil pump with clean engine oil by filling either the inlet or outlet port with clean engine oil.
- Rotate the pump shaft to distribute the oil within the pump body. Install the pump and tighten the mounting bolts to 14-21 ft. lbs. on 2.0L and 2.3L engines; 6-10 ft. lbs. on 2.8L and 2.9L engines or 13-15 ft. lbs. on 4.0L engines.
Do not force the oil pump if it does not seat readily. The oil pump driveshaft may be misaligned with the distributor shaft assembly. To align, rotate the intermediate driveshaft into a new position.
- Install the oil pan as previously described. The oil pumps are not serviceable. If defective, they must be replaced.
See Figure 3
- Disconnect the battery ground cables from both batteries.
- Remove the oil pan.
- Disconnect the oil pump outlet tube from cylinder block.
- Remove the oil pump set screw and remove oil pump.
- Install the oil pump.
- Apply teflon tape, or equivalent, to the threads of the oil pump set screws. Install the set screw and tighten.
- Install a new gasket on the oil pump outlet tube and tighten the bolts to 6-9 ft. lbs.
- Install the oil pan.
- Fill the crankcase with specified quantity and quality of oil.
- Fill and bleed the cooling system.
- Connect the battery ground cables to both batteries.
See Figure 4
- Disconnect battery ground cables from both batteries.
- Remove cooling fan and fan shroud.
- Remove water pump pulley, crankshaft pulley, upper and lower timing belt covers, timing belts, and crankshaft sprockets.
- Loosen oil pan bolts and remove six front oil pan-to-front case bolts.
- Remove pipe plug in right hand side of engine block, Insert cross point screwdriver into hole to prevent right hand silent shaft from rotating. Remove nut attaching silent shaft sprocket to drive gear and remove sprocket.
- Remove bolts attaching front case to engine block and remove front case.
- Remove front case and gasket.
- Remove silent shaft reverse rotation gear cover and remove silent shaft and gears.
- Remove oil pump cover and remove oil pump drive gear, and inner and outer gears.
- Remove silent shaft reverse rotation drive gear oil seal using Seal Remove T58L-101-B or equivalent.
- Remove crankshaft front oil seal.
- Install silent shaft oil seal using a 21mm socket.
- Install silent shaft reverse rotation gears with marks aligned.
- Install oil pump gears in front housing.
Align marks on oil pump gears when installing.
- Install oil pump cover and tighten to specification.
- Install silent shaft in reverse rotation drive gear. Position front cover and new gasket on engine block using care not to damage silent shaft bearing. Install bolts and tighten to specification.
- Install silent shaft sprocket. Insert suitable tool in hole in block to prevent silent shaft from rotating. Tighten sprocket nut to specification.
- Remove screwdriver and install pipe plug.
When installing silent shaft sprocket, ensure "D'' flat on sprocket is aligned with "D'' flat on shaft.
- Install crankshaft front oil seal.
- Install crankshaft sprocket.
- Apply a 3mm bead of Silicone Sealant D6A2-19562-B or equivalent along split lines between lower front case cover and rear oil seal retainer and engine block.
- Install oil pan bolts and tighten to specification.
- Install and adjust timing belts.
- Install upper and lower timing belt covers.
- Install crankshaft and water pump pulleys.
- Install accessory drive belts.
- Install cooling fan and fan shroud.
- Connect battery ground cables to both batteries.
- Run again and check for oil leaks.