REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except 4.0L Engines
See Figures 1 and 2
To service the valve rocker cover on the 2.3L EFI engine the throttle body assembly and EGR supply tube must first be removed. Refer to the necessary service procedures.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the air cleaner and attaching parts. Label each spark plug wire prior to its removal in order to ease the installation of the wires on the correct spark plugs.
- Remove the spark plug wires.
- Remove the PCV valve and hose.
- Remove the carburetor choke air deflector plate (shield).
- Remove the rocker arm cover attaching screws and the load distribution washers (patch pieces). Be sure the washers are installed in their original position.
- Remove the transmission fluid level indicator tube and bracket, which is attached to rocker arm cover.
- Disconnect the kickdown linkage and the carburetor (automatic transmission only).
- Position the Thermactor air hose and the wiring harness away from the right hand rocker arm cover.
- Remove the engine oil fill cap.
- Disconnect the vacuum line at the canister purge solenoid and disconnect the line routed from the canister to the purge solenoid (disconnect the power brake booster hose, if so equipped).
- With a light plastic hammer, tap the rocker arm covers to break the seal.
- Remove the rocker arm covers.
- Clean all gasket material from the cylinder heads and rocker arm cover gasket surfaces.
- Install the rocker arm covers, using new gaskets and install the attaching screw and rocker arm cover reinforcement pieces.
- Install the transmission fluid level indicator tube and the bracket (attaches to rocker arm cover).
- Connect the kickdown linkage (automatic transmission only).
- After ensuring all rocker arm cover reinforcement washers are installed in their original position, tighten the rocker arm cover screws.
- Install the spark plug. wires.
- Install the PCV valve and hose.
- Install the carburetor choke air deflector plate (shield).
- Reposition the Thermactor air hose and the wiring harness in their original places.
- Install the engine oil fill cap.
- Connect the vacuum line at the canister purge (connect power brake hose, if so equipped) solenoid and connect the line routed from canister to the purge solenoid.
- Install the air cleaner and the attaching parts.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable. Start the engine and check for oil leaks.
See Figure 5
Failure to install new rocker cover gaskets and rocker cover reinforcement pieces may result in oil leaks.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Tag and remove the spark plug wires.
- Disconnect and remove the fuel supply and return lines. See Fuel System .
- For left rocker cover removal, remove the upper intake manifold.
- For right rocker cover removal, remove air inlet duct and hose to oil fill tube, drive belt from alternator, alternator. Drain cooling system remove the upper radiator hose from the engine. Remove the EDIS ignition coil and bracket assembly. Remove the A/C low pressure hose bracket if so equipped. Remove the PCV valve hose and breather.
- Remove the rocker cover bolts and load distribution pieces. The washers must be installed in their original positions, so keep track of them.
- Remove the rocker cover. It will probably be necessary to tap the cover loose with a plastic or rubber mallet.
- Remove the rocker covers.
- Clean all gasket material from the cover and head.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Always use a new gasket coated with sealer. If any of the RTV silicone gasket material was removed from the mating area of the head(s) and intake manifold, replace it. Torque the bolts to 3-5 ft. lbs.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable. Start the engine and run to normal operating temperature and check for oil and fuel leaks.